Accountability / Follow-Through on Resolutions

The start of a Christmas tree skirt that I began in a quilting class.  One of
many projects that I would love to finish this year. 
My resolutions for the New Year are the standard type -- you know, get organized, start and finish projects, clean the entire house, work out, get in shape, lose weight, that sort of thing.  Plus some more personal ones like correspondence, blogging, reading, devotions, and some general business goals that can be summed up as "succeed".    Overall, I am trying to achieve at least one thing every day, outside of the things that I absolutely have to do regardless of my resolutions.

To be truthful, I don't like the term "resolution".  I prefer "life goals" or even simply "goals".  It sounds more immediate than a lofty "I hereby resolve to do x, y, and z".

I was trying to figure out how to make myself accountable for some follow-through.  I can't see succeeding at a daily blog post, but then it occurred to me that I could do one post, and edit it every couple of days to update.  So that's the plan.

I'll make a note if I'm struggling with something, to remind myself to persevere.  And if anyone wants to comment on their resolutions and how it's going for them, that would be great.  It will keep us all more accountable and thus more likely to succeed.

Without further explanation, I'm going to set up a chart and update it frequently.  Please drop back and check on me.  Encouragement is, well, encouraged.  Hints and shared stories are welcome.

Jan 1:  Family & friends dinner at my sister's house.  Intended to toboggan with some of the younger ones, but visited with other guests instead.  Achieved goal of spending time with those I care about.

Jan 2:  Spent the day with family, including my grandchildren.  Tea party with the kids, lunch, supper, and then tobogganing on a nearby hill.  This time I went along with the young ones.  Family time plus achieved goal of getting outside and getting some exercise.

Jan 3:  Church and taught Sunday School class.  Lovely weather so took my dog for a walk.  Yes!  More time spent working on getting in shape.  Requested prayers from our church's prayer circle for a family member having surgery.
We have less snow this year than in this photo from a couple
years ago, but there's enough for tobogganing!

Jan 4:  Did I mention daily devotions?  I try to start my day this way, but feel pressured to rush.  I keep a copy of Forward Day by Day bedside, but sometimes I'll admit I don't do all the reading it lists for each day.  And .. finally, I returned to the gym where I purchased a membership a YEAR ago.  That monthly fee is more about fining me for not attending than it is for using the gym.  I aim to change that, and work out at the gym often.  Also spent time using Wii Fit, so feeling pretty good about working on the fitness goals.

Jan 5:  Time to start organizing.  Cleaned off my desk and top drawer.  It will take considerable time to go through and purge all the odds and ends in that desk, but I've made a start.  I started sorting some of my inventory for my on-line business on Etsy, and entered a ton of receipts into an Excel spreadsheet for my expenses in 2015.  Didn't get to the gym, but spent an hour on Wii Fit.

Jan. 6:  Went for a good, brisk 1.5 km walk in the crisp, cold winter air.  Certainly this continues my goal to get more exercise.  The problem was the I was walking home because I thought I locked the keys in my car.  My husband met me halfway, then walked back with me to get the car.  We didn't find the keys until later that day; they had fallen inside a bag and were never actually locked in the vehicle.

Jan 7.  While I spent an hour in the late evening working out with Wii Fit, overall I had trouble feeling energetic.  A lot of time was spent online, looking for a winter vacation; being online for too long makes me tired.  I was able to package and mail a couple items I sold on Etsy.

Jan 8:  We ran some errands, including shopping for a birthday party gift for a special little grandson.
I started to crochet a pair of mittens, and finished perhaps half of one mitten.  Mostly though, I struggled with fatigue all day, and failed to work out at all, other than shopping.  Should I count that?

Jan 9:  A totally family day, including a birthday party.  So much fun to watch the children play happily.  I checked on the readings for church tomorrow, and chose a coloring page and a craft for the Sunday School kids that will fit the adults' gospel reading of the Baptism of Jesus.  Late evening found me doing a Wii Fit workout.

Jan 10: We discussed baptism with the little children at Sunday School, and I told the story of John the Baptist baptizing Jesus.  There is a dove in the story, so we made a paper dove, including learning how to make accordion pleats for the wings.  Later, we went to my grandson's "children's party" at a restaurant where the kids had lots of game to play.  A very nice day indeed!

Jan. 11:  Found a very good price for a week at an all-inclusive hotel, and spent half the day debating whether to grab the deal or not.  By 3 pm, I said, "let's just do it", and booked a trip for my husband and myself.  Thing is, the flight left the next morning at 9 am, so we had to get ready and pack in a rush.  It isn't the destination that was my first choice, but that hotel was sold out.  Sometimes we have to be open to new adventures!

Jan 12 - 19:  Super holiday with wonderful weather, away from the Canadian winter.  Home late at night on the 19th.

Jan 20:  Didn't accomplish a lot as I was tired from the long flight.  I am partly unpacked.  We had the grandchildren over for supper, and one decided to spend the night.  I think they will be with us all day tomorrow too.

Jan 21:  We babysat our grandchildren all day, and had the whole family here for supper.  Family time, not time to clean or work on projects!

Jan 22:  Finally got time to unpack and do some laundry, but didn`t accomplish much else.

Jan 23:  Birthday party for my aunt today.  I didn`t get time before, so I did some last-minute shopping to get a small gift and some flowers.  Lovely evening with lots of relatives.  Speaking of last-minute, it was pretty late before I had time to go online and plan a Sunday School lesson for tomorrow.

Jan 24: The Sunday School lesson described how different parts of the body are all important and work together, just like the people in our church.  My class is all pre-school children, so we did a few rounds of  Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes, drew faces and made cutouts to show all the "people" holding hands and "working together".  I was also on coffee duty so it was well into the afternoon when I got home after doing dishes.  We took my sister out to the airport to catch her flight, and will be checking her house daily while she is away.  January is three-quarters over, and there are so many things I have not accomplished.  I wish I had more energy.

Jan 25 and 26:  Fighting a headache and cold, so napping took a fair bit of time.  I cleaned and purged the cabinets in our main bathroom, and found lots of old cosmetics that needed to be discarded.  Felt great to get around to a cleaning project that I have been procrastinating about.

.... and more updates to come.  I'll add to to this post for a couple weeks, before starting a new post.  Thanks for visiting and please help to keep me on track with all the good things I'm trying to accomplish.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's Fitness & Gyms

Sewing at Home

Simplify Christmas Preparations: Enjoy the Moments