1950s Styles to Sew ... or Admire

A couple years ago I purchased an entire box of patterns at our annual church "garage sale".  It's actually held in the church basement, not a garage!)  I knew the lady who donated them had been a hat maker and excellent seamstress in her day, but now she was clearing out a lifetime of possessions and downsizing.

I never really took the time to go through the box until recently.  It has been fun to check out the vintage styles.  It just seems like it was such a glamorous time, and I love the look, but I don't think I"ll be creating any of these for myself any time soon.

So so Fifties!  The tiny wasp waist and the huge full skirt are amazing.  The halter dress is demurely covered up with the cute short sleeve jacket.
This is labelled a half size Slenderette pattern.  I love the square neckline on the dress.  Unfortunately the hat is not part of this pattern.  This has never been cut out.
Another full skirted dress, belted at the waist.  This dress has pockets!
A "midriff dress"  with options for contrasting or coordinated midriff section. The dress skirt can be made very full or slim fitting.
The pattern didn't seem to have a description for this dress.  It maybe more early 60s than 50s ... it reminds me of the dresses my mother and other community ladies wore at meetings and for shopping back in their day.

I have been working at photographing and scanning some of the better ones, and they are for sale on on Etsy at RuthsGreenTreasures.  I was amazed at the excellent condition the patterns were in, despite some wear and tear to the envelopes.  Some are actually uncut, never used.... and are waiting for someone to finally use them to create the outfit they were intended to make.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's Fitness & Gyms

Sewing at Home

RGT