Women's Fitness & Gyms



Here's to all of us, wishing us all happiness, health, and all good things in this new year.

We celebrated the end of 2018 and the beginning of 2019 much like we do every new year with family.  Supper at my grandchildren's home, then back to our house where we watched the new year ushered in around the continent, until finally it arrived in our city.  January 1st was spent, as is our longstanding tradition, gathering with many relatives for dinner and an evening of visiting and games.  Impossible to start a diet on January 1 in our family, as it is the first feast of the year.

I did not make resolutions, unless you count the "I should's" dancing in my head.  If I wrote them all down, it would be overwhelming.

Health is high on my priority list as I get older.  I am feeling my bones and muscles age, and worry about falling.  I even worry about getting up again, when I am kneeling on the floor, digging for a misplaced pot or pan in the cupboard.  There is no time left for procrastinating on this; I won't be making another blog post until I have begun a fitness routine.... well, more than just begun.  I want to report once I've established it as a new habit.

So, God willing, I am going to check out 2 gyms tomorrow.  They advertised specials for the New Year but I need to figure out what the ongoing prices are.  Both gyms are only a few blocks from my home -- walking distance in the warmer months -- so I am hoping one of them will be what I'm looking for.

I used to belong to Curves gym, and got the t-shirt after 400+ workouts, but they have closed.  Then I joined another women's gym, and last year it closed.  I never went to that one many times, but it was always on my "I should" list.

One of the gyms I am going to visit has a women's area, which I think it separated from the rest of the gym.  At least I hope so.  As a Gramma, I don't really want to be on a treadmill or bike next to a young male football athlete.  I don't really think a desire for more privacy is sexist.  In fact, part of my reluctance to be in a co-ed gym is due to stories my sons told when they were high school and university athletes.  They thought it was hilarious to see anyone who wasn't an athlete there.  Those old memories make me self-conscious now.

My aunt, who is in her mid 70s has been going to a co-ed gym ever since Curves closed.  I asked her about it, and she says she goes in the daytime when it's not busy, and once she got used to it, she doesn't even really notice who is working out around her, but just does her thing and leaves.  I don't know if I would ever get that comfortable.

Twice in my life I have had memberships at gyms, and kept paying on them long after I had quit going to the gym.  I was always reluctant to cancel, telling myself if I couldn't make myself go, I deserved to pay a "fine" / membership fee as punishment.  Not good financial planning, and it didn't really make me go to the gym any more frequently.  One needs to go because they are motivated by wanting to be fit, I have found.

What are your thought about gyms and working out?  Do you care if a gym is co-ed or not?  And if you have bought gym memberships in the past, did you find they were worth the investment? 
Blog link party

Comments

  1. Happy New Year Ruth - I'm so glad you found Create With Joy on Google!
    In addition to Friendship Friday, we host Inspire Me Monday and several other blog parties throughout the week (along with our other features) - come join us and meet our blogging community as you are able!

    Health is a big priority of mine, though my focus for the moment is more on nutrition than exercise (I think I am allergic to gyms!) Best of luck to you in your endeavors (keep me posted on your progress - perhaps we can motivate one another throughout the year!) :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sewing at Home

RGT