Journeying into Fitness

So, YES.  About a week ago I said I would not post again until I had ventured out to check out some local gyms and began the long journey to getting in shape. 

I am really happy to say I accomplished the venturing out part.  I checked out two gyms very close to my home, and I agreed to a one-week free trial membership at one of them.  I want to go tomorrow, my last free day, to spend some time on the treadmill and stationary bicycles.  The young manager was very friendly, assuring me that questions were always welcome, and that there were lots of women my age that work out at this gym.

I went one evening to a yoga-stretch class that was more stretching than actual yoga.  There were only four others in the class, and 3 of them were my age and roughly in the same shape as me.  it was the first class for one of the other women too. It was not intimidating at all, the instructor was welcoming and friendly, encouraging but not pushy.  In short, yes!  I will keep on going to this class.  It is scheduled twice a week, and the class alone is worth the cost of the monthly membership.  I should have joined a year ago!

The weather here has been brutal.  Minus 27 Celsius with the wind chill.  Last night was blizzard conditions -- lots of drifting snow, wind, ice, and extreme cold.  I always have worn pants, especially in the winter, but I have discovered a much cosier way to keep warm this year... so yes, I guess even an "old dog can learn new tricks!"

What is my discovery? There's a story to this .... My cousin showed me the beautiful wool skirt she got for Christmas last year.  It is from Uksi winter skirts  (no, I am not affiliated with them.  They have never heard of me, and I will not get any commissions or whatever from them if you check out their site or even if you purchase.  I just really like their skirts!)

And then, back in the fall I purchased my first ever pair of leggings to wear at a chilly outdoor fall wedding.  They were perfect.  And the light went on.  Leggings plus a skirt equals roasty toasty warm.  It doesn't have to be a gorgeous, pricey wool skirt either.  Just an extra layer over the leggings is like being wrapped in a warm blanket.  This is my new winter look!

And now that I discovered how warm long skirts and leggings are in our chilly winters, I have been going through my pattern stash to find great skirt patterns.  I'll close by sharing a few that I got listed on Etsy tonight.



 Slim skirt - SO EASY by Simplicity
 New Look easy skirt pattern
Simplicity Fast & Easy skirt pattern

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's Fitness & Gyms

Sewing at Home

RGT