Dieting means I Will Need New Clothes

The days are getting colder and shorter where I live, serving as a daily reminder that winter is coming very soon.  And every year I hope for just a few more nice days as I put off doing some of the fall gardening and yardwork that is calling to me.

Part of my procrastination is due to the projects that beckon indoors.  I've never been a real "outdoorsy" person, although I do love my garden plus camping and campfires.  But the sewing and crocheting and baking and reading ... ah, that's what I am more apt to be doing, even as the thought of winter's cold days should inspire me to spend more time outside now.

A check-up with my doctor, that indicated cholesterol levels were becoming a problem, convinced me to see if I could bring down those levels with a vastly improved diet.  My thinking is that if a really strict healthy diet doesn't decrease the cholesterol levels, then I will need to take medication.  But if I can avoid any extra meds, that is my preference.  So while I decided to "eat healthy", I figured I may as well loose weight too.  The mainstay of my meals this past week has been hearty and healthy homemade vegetable soup.  It varies each time I make it, but I will figure out amounts and post the recipe soon.  Tasty and healthy!

My goal is to lose 20 pounds.  The reward of course is being healthier.  But the secondary reward I have promised myself is to make a few new outfits. No doubt I will treat myself to some purchased clothes too. I am a committed thrift shop customer and it will be easier to find clothes in a smaller size.  Or at least, right now it seems everything cute is in smaller sizes!



As for the sewing, I have done a lot of simple projects in the past couple years.  I'm ready to tackle something more tailored this time around.   



This skirt with pockets is a bit more casual, but I can already fit into this one... no incentive to diet if I make things that fit me now. It would be great in denim, and maybe I make it a bit smaller. The really good thing about sewing skirts is that they are easier to fit than pants and generally much quicker to sew.  Dressy pants, that is.  One piece pyjama pants are about as easy as one could hope for.  Then again, so is an elastic waist gathered skirt!
 I love this pleated skirt pattern. I just hope that if I sew this one, that it looks as good on me as it does on the sketches on the pattern envelope! 



The tunic style blouse in this Vogue pattern, with its softly draped asymmetric tie, is a favourite of mine.


There's more, there's more, for sure that I would love to make for myself.  I have to be a bit practical though and remember that I like to make a few gifts for the grandkids and my sister as well.  I'm trying to set realistic goals so I can (finally) say at year's end that I reached those goals.  Sound like a plan?

I have scored a ton of vintage patterns during my summer travels, and now I'm trying to get them listed.  I am doing the fall and winter ones first, but if anyone is looking for more summery patterns, send me a message.  I always have a stockpile of unlisted patterns! 

Happy fall.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's Fitness & Gyms

Sewing at Home

The Journey Continues