Projects for Cold Winter Days

We are experiencing extreme cold weather this week.  The temperature this afternoon is MINUS 26 Celsius or minus 14 Fahrenheit.  Even worse, the wind chill is listed at minus 34 Celsius and that is a big improvement from this morning.  So I am staying indoors!

I actually enjoy quiet days at home spent, well, puttering, for want of a better word.  I am the opposite of a minimalist.  In fact, if I don't have a bunch of projects that I could, at the drop of a hat, decide to start working on, I feel agitated and nervous.  I like to know when I wake up that I could, potentially, decide to make beet pickles, organize my fabric stash, begin (or finish) a crochet project, read a book, or whatever strikes my fancy.  I'm all about the process and not the finished project!

But these chilly days inspire me to mostly just cuddle up with a book and a blanket.  Or possibly you could say I am not feeling inspired to undertake any substantive work or projects, and really I have lots I want to get done.  Sometimes I do need a sense of achievement!

To that end, I have decided to not set any specific goals but to do whatever it is that I want to work on.  A couple days ago, that meant finally getting around to making some beet relish.  The dozen or so colorful filled jars looked great when I finished.  Anyone interested in the recipe?  Message me or leave a comment, and I'll include it next time.




That led me to start working on creating some new listings for Etsy, and I was rewarded with three quick sales.  Today I thought I might start organizing my income tax papers to be ready in advance of tax season. That little project is "on hold" while I blog!

The taxes can wait ... I will eventually "render onto Caesar" what is required.  Meanwhile, I am content to work on my "project", both large and small, and rejoice in being retired and able to stay at home during this intensely cold weather.

In fact it is thanks to the cold weather that I am feeling inspired to do some sewing plus some closet cleaning and wardrobe purging.  I know I will find some sweaters and coats that I could donate to a homeless shelter.  If I start on that today, I can deliver the items tomorrow.  I think a bit of fresh air will be good, just to ward off cabin fever!

While I have the sewing machine out, I plan to sort out some flannelette and make pjs for the grandkids.  They have outgrown the last ones I made.  I found a versatile pattern for a boy while working on my own Etsy shop, and thought I'd share this.  Pjs are a great project for a busy Mom or Gramma to make, with their loose fit and elastic waistbands.  Ideally, I should sew something for myself, but that's less apt to get done.  PJ pattern for boys

So, all in all, my message is to continue on with continuing on.  When there is lots to do, choose something that appeals to you and start working on it.  The sense of accomplishment will inspire you to keep working on the new project.

God speed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women's Fitness & Gyms

Sewing at Home

Simplify Christmas Preparations: Enjoy the Moments